yield: 12 CUPCAKES
total time: 45 MINUTES
1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1/2 cup (100g) packed light or dark brown sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
1/2 cup (120ml) milk, at room temperature
1/2 cup (156g) molasses
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 and 1/3 cups (167g) all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
cream cheese frosting for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line 12-count muffin pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and brown sugar together on medium speed until creamy. Beat in the egg until combined, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Beat in the milk, molasses, and vanilla on medium speed. The mixture will be “piecey” and not fully combined. That’s ok.
- In a medium bowl, toss the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice together until combined. With the mixer running on low speed, slowly pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full, no more. Bake for 19-21 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Prepare cream cheese frosting. Frost cooled cupcakes immediately before serving. Unfrosted cupcakes remain fresh covered tightly at room temperature for two days. Store frosted cupcakes in the refrigerator for up to three to four days and allow to come to room temperature before serving.