By Lacey Newlin of Lacey’s Pantry
Total Time: 1 Hour
2 tablespoons butter
1 pound mushrooms, sliced
1 tablespoon butter
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
6 cups chicken broth
1 cup wild rice blend
1 1/2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
1 cup milk or cream
1 cup parmigiano reggiano, grated
salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium-high heat, add the mushrooms and onion and cook until the mushrooms have released their liquids and the liquid has evaporated, about 10-15 minutes, before setting aside.
- Melt the butter in the pan, add the onions, carrots and celery and cook until tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Mix in the garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, rice, chicken and mushrooms, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the rice is tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- Mix in the milk and cheese and cook until the cheese has melted before seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.